INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY AND MONITORING OF THE SANTORINI VOLCANO (ISMOSAV)
The Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano (I.S.M.O.SA.V.) is a non-profit organisation, founded in the summer of 1995, whose primary aim is to continue to maintain the operation of the Volcano Observatory and the monitoring networks, which were established under a research program funded by the E.U.
Its main target is the promotion of volcanological research on the island, more specifically how to achieve the most accurate assessment possible regarding volcanic phenomena, and the increased probability of precise forecasting of any future volcanic eruption.
The Institute provides Santorini with an integral monitoring system, which guarantees the timely prediction of a possible volcanic eruption and undertakes the responsibility of disproving any false statements or rumors regarding a negative state of the volcano.
Amongst the founding members, ISMOSAV includes the majority of Greek scientists who participated in the above mentioned E.U. program, members of the Santorini civil authorities and members of the public interested in the volcanic phenomena on Santorini island group.
The Board of Directors is formed by:
- Michael Fytikas – President | Professor Emeritus of Geothermics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)
- Anastasios – Nikolas Zorzos – Vice President | Mayor of Thera
- Konstantinos Papazachos – Secretary General | Professor of Seismology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Dimitrios Panagiotopoulos – Treasurer | Professor of Seismology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Nikolaos Christou – Member | Geologist at the Subprefecture of Santorini
- Spyros Pavlidis – Member | Professor of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Eleftherios Roussos – Member | ex National Bank of Greece employee, hotelier
The Observatory is located in Firostefani, the edifice in which the Observatory is housed has been offered by Mr. Petros M. Nomikos, and the seismic signals are compiled in an establishment on the hill of Profitis Ililas.
Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano
Petros M. Nomikos Conference Center
Firostefani, 847 00 Santorini, Greece
Phone: +30 22860 24065