INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY AND MONITORING OF THE SANTORINI VOLCANO (ISMOSAV)
The Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano (I.S.M.O.SA.V.) is a non-profit organisation, founded in the summer of 1995, whose primary aim is to continue to maintain the operation of the Volcano Observatory and the monitoring networks, which were established under a research program funded by the E.U.
Its main target is the promotion of volcanological research on the island, more specifically how to achieve the most accurate assessment possible regarding volcanic phenomena, and the increased probability of precise forecasting of any future volcanic eruption.
The Institute provides Santorini with an integral monitoring system, which guarantees the timely prediction of a possible volcanic eruption and undertakes the responsibility of disproving any false statements or rumors regarding a negative state of the volcano.
Amongst the founding members, ISMOSAV includes the majority of Greek scientists who participated in the above mentioned E.U. program, members of the Santorini civil authorities and members of the public interested in the volcanic phenomena on Santorini island group.
The Board of Directors, after the elections of the 20th of October 2018, is formed by:
- George Vougioukalakis – President | Volcanologist, Hellenic Survey of Geology & Mineral Exploration – HSGME
- Anastasios – Nikolas Zorzos – Vice President | Councillor, Municipality of Thera
- Konstantinos Papazachos – Secretary General | Professor of Seismology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Spyros Pavlidis – Treasurer| Professor emeritus of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Theodore Laopoulos – Member| Professor of “Electronic Circuits for Measurement and Control” at the Electronics Lab., Physics Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki,
- Andreas Vlachos – Member| Urologic surgeon, Santorini
- Nikolaos Christou – Member | Geologist at the Subprefecture of Santorini
- Eleftherios Roussos – Alternate Member | ex National Bank of Greece employee, hotelier
- Maria Papachristou – Geologist, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
The Former President, Michael Fytikas, Professor Emeritus of Geothermics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, was declared by the General Assembly to be the Honorary President.
Institute for the Study and Monitoring of the Santorini Volcano
Eftheia Firon Pyrgou, 84700 Santorini