This year, the Gyzi Megaron Festival celebrates 38 years of cultural presence in Santorini and invites its friends in 12 evenings that cover the entire range of music.
As always, the festival will be held at the historic 17th-century mansion in Fira, Santorini, from July 20th to August 31st, with free entrance to all events thanks to the unwavering support of the Catholic Diocese of Thira.
- Friday, July 20, 2018, at 21:00, the dynamic youthful Arton Trio from Vienna, Austria, will present a program from Schubert to Piazzolla.
- Tuesday, July 24, 2018, at 21:00, cellist, lyricist, improviser and composer Yiorgos Kaloudis performs in a unique recital, where a Cretan lyre and a cello reveal a poetic sound horizon within the “Innovating tradition” program.
- Friday, July 27, 2018, at 21:00, members of the ERT National Symphony Orchestra will present music from the distant Baroque era to the 20th century, under the direction of Andreas Tselikas. (The concert will be carried out before the Metropolitan Cathedral Ypapantis Sotiros, next to the Atlantis hotel, at Fira).
- Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 21:00, Natalia Kotsani, Manos Avarakis, Vangelis Papageorgiou and Stefanos Hadjianagnostou travel to Federico García Lorca’s Spain with traditional songs from around the world, as well as unreleased compositions by Manos Avarakis.
- Friday, August 3, 2018, at 21:00, the opera group “The Medium Project”, directed by the inventive Raia Tsakridis, presents Leonard Bernstein’s “Trouble in Tahiti”, an opera referring to the 1950s classic American musical with direct, simple and pure writing under the sounds of jazz music.
- Tuesday, August 7, 2018, at 21.00, Ross Daly, along with Kelly Thomas on the lyre, will present a program that includes their own compositions, which reflect a long journey through the wider musical traditions from Northwest Africa to India.
- Friday, August 10, 2018, at 21:00, German cellist Anja Lechner and French pianist Franjois Couturier present the Moderato Cantabile, their own interpretative versions and orchestrations on G.I. Gurdjieff, K. Vardapet, and F. Mompou.
- Friday, August 17, 2018, at 21:00, the great performer Dimitra Galani meets two of the new generation’s best musicians, Thomas Konstantinou and Spyros Manesis, in a show that embraces songs with influences from East and West.
- Tuesday, 21 August 2018, at 21:00, two outstanding artists, Irish violinist Maighread McCrann and Italian pianist Francesco Nicolosi, present a program that includes works by Bach, Schumann, Schubert and Liszt.
- Friday, August 24, 2018, at 21:00, internationally acclaimed guitarists Duo Melis, Susana Prieto and Alexis Mouzourakis, perform works by D. Scarlatti, J. Rodrigo, A. Piazzolla.
- Tuesday, August 28, 2018, at 21:00, Miranda Verulis and the Desafinados band are skillfully crafting the paths of Brazilian polyrhythmia, featuring the top trumpet player, Andreas Polyzogopoulos.
- Friday, August 31, 2018, at 21:00, the winners in the five categories of The Muse, the International Youth Competition, hosted since 2005 at Gyzi Megaron, are unfolding their virtuosity.
The events of July 20 and 27 , as well as of August 3 and 7, 2018, will be held in co-organization with the Municipality of Thira and the D.AP.P.O.S.
Free admission to all Festival events.
For more information: Tel. +30 2286023077