Archaeological sites and museums in Greece will be open to the public for free on Saturday, May 18th, the day the International Museum Day is celebrated.
Since 1977, May 18th has been designated by the International Council of Museums (ICOM) as International Museum Day. It is celebrated all over the world, where various events are orgainsed, and is dedicated to a specific theme related to museums and their role in modern society. The theme chosen by the International Council of Museums (ICOM) for 2019 is “Museums as Cultural Nodes: the Future of Tradition”.
On Saturday, May 18th, the museums and archaeological sites of Santorini will be open as follows:
- Akrotiri archaeological site: 08:30-20:00
- Archaeological site of Ancient Thera: 08:30-16:00
- Museum of Prehistoric Thera: 08:30-16:00
- Archaeological Museum: 08:30-16:00
- Museum of Icons and Ecclesiastical Relics of Pyrgos: 09:30-15:30
Free admission days to museums and archaeological sites :
- March 6th, Melina Merkouri Memorial Day
- April 18th, International Day for Monuments and Sites
- May 18th, International Museum Day
- The last weekend of September annualy (European Cultural Heritage Days)
- October 28th, Official National Holiday
- Every first Sunday from November 1st to March 31st