Wine region: Santorini / Area of Pyrgos-Megalochori, Single Vineyard
Grape variety: 100% Assyrtiko
Alcohol percentage: 14% vol
Unit Quantity: 750ml
Wine maker’s notes
The brand new organic, Single Vineyard label by Hatzidakis Winery is here in very limited production (only 1800 bottles). (R)ampelia is a traditional, female name in Santorini and also Ampelia is the Greek name for the vine. Produced from handpicked grapes of Assyrtiko that were left for 24 hours in a cold room before they were pressed. The 70%, has aged in contact with fine lees for 12 months, and the rest 30% in French oak barrels. Bottled unfiltered.
It has a nice lemon color with golden hues, and aromas full of white flowers. On the palate, there is an intense mineral character, with a rich texture and a long aftertaste. It pairs perfectly well with shellfish, fish dishes, white meat dishes, and mature cheeses produced in the Cyclades. Better served at 12-14˚C.
The label was designed by Ariadni Hatzidakis.
Tip: The shipping cost per bottle drops significantly the more bottles you buy. Join forces with friends and family to buy more bottles and bring the cost down.
-It is an offense to purchase or attempt to purchase alcoholic liquor if you are under the age of 18
-The price includes safe packaging cost
About Hatzidakis Winery
Hatzidakis Winery was founded in 1997 by Haridimos Hatzidakis and Constantina Chryssou.
In 1996, Constantina showed Haridimos the vineyard of her family. This vineyard is located at the village of Pyrgos Kallistis, on the way to the monastery of “Profiti Ilias-Santorini”. It is situated 330 meters above sea level. The vineyard was abandoned for many years, as Constantina’s parents, George & Aikaterini Chrisou had left the island because of the earthquake in 1956 and had moved to Athens as many locals did at that time. Until 1996, the vineyard remained uncultivated. Haridimos was the first who made the decision to re-cultivate the vineyard and the rest is history. The vineyard was cultivated with Aidani which is an organic grape variety.
When Constantina and Haridimos visited the vineyard, Haridimos spotted a cave at the end of it. “Over here, we can create a “Kanavaki”, he said. “Kanaves” is the local name for wineries. Thus, a small underground Winery started to shape which was built with patience, persistence, enthusiasm, passion, with “Meraki” as we say in Greek, and hard work. And the dream came true!
In 1998, the first bottles of wine, vintage of 1997, were released from that new Winery. “Santorini” wine, vintage 1997, from the white grape variety Assyrtiko and “Mavrotragano” wine, vintage 1997, from the Mavrotragano grape variety of Santorini were the first two wines to be produced.
Today, Hatzidakis Winery cultivates 100 acres of vineyards and most of them are organic.